We are very glad that you are considering applying to attend the Deep Learning Indaba 2018, and to continue the mission of strengthening African machine learning. This is a short overview of the application process that lets you know what we will be asking, and why.
We look for participants with a passion for machine learning. These participants will not only include those with existing experience, but also those with a willingness to use and spread the knowledge they gain at the Indaba. Anyone who meets these criteria can apply: students, people at startups, those teaching themselves, those with established careers. The questions we ask will allow us to better understand your background, why machine learning is interesting to you, and your motivations for attending the Indaba.
We will ask 7 questions that require answers in short paragraphs. We recommend preparing these answers beforehand and then simply pasting them into the application form when you are ready.
- If you attended the Indaba in 2017, tell us how your past attendance has helped you grow or how you have used what you have learned. (max 150 words)
- Tell us why attending the Deep Learning Indaba 2018 is important to you? Please provide a short paragraph. (50-150 words)
- How will you share what you have learned after the Indaba? (50-150 words)
- Share with us a favourite machine learning resource you use: a paper, blog post, algorithm, result, or finding. Tell us why. (max 80 words)
- Are you (or have you been) a tutor for any courses or part of any machine learning or data science society or meetup? (max 80 words)
- Have you ever worked on a project that uses machine learning? If yes, give a short description below. (max 150 words)
- If you would like to be considered for a travel award, please provide a short motivation for why you should be selected. (max 150 words)
Other things we ask for:
- Your CV (PDF, max 10MB) and permission to add it to a CV database.
- Ratings of your coding ability and your familiarity with probability, statistics, and linear algebra. These ratings will not be used to assess your application, but they help us fine-tune our teaching and practical programme, so that you can maximally benefit from the Indaba.
- Your background, current academic institution and degree programme.
If anything is unclear or your have any other questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org